Internal Communications Specialist
Who We Are:
Cardinal Financial is a nationwide direct mortgage lender whose mission is to prove that homeownership is possible for everyone. By bringing an open-minded approach to an often closed-minded industry, we're able to embrace every unique financial situation differently in order to craft the best possible loans for our borrowers. We pride ourselves on providing excellent service backed by our groundbreaking technology, and these two components of our process come together to complete a simple, personalized mortgage experience. But it all starts with our people.
We believe that no matter where you fit in our organization—Sales, Human Resources, Information Technology, or even re-stocking the break rooms with endless coffee supplies—everyone can influence the experience that we provide to our customers and our partners. We tell our customers and our partners that anything can be reimagined. So why not your career? Looking to join a company that values its people, innovates and expands on its proprietary technology, and is growing at a ridiculous rate?! Apply below!
Who We Need:
We are looking for an experienced Internal Communications Specialist with content management and technical writing experience.This position will help support Cardinal Financial Company with various internal communications efforts via technical writing pieces using the Chicago Manual of Style and following the company’s brand and style standards. You will be responsible for producing specific written works from concept to execution for various internal corporate communication needs. You will also be hyper-organized with content placement and file storage for our intranet, the Hub. The bulk of this work will be learning and gathering information about our internal technology, systems, and processes, and writing and editing internal communication releases and articles for the Hub.
What You Will Do:
This position reports to the Director of Communications. This position will be dedicated to supporting our corporate communications strategy by aiding in the execution of internal communications pieces that are more technically focused. As part of the Brand Communications team, you will own written projects from concept to execution and delivery of the request as well as navigating approvals through the Director of Communications, Compliance, and other business partners. You will partner with members from Engineering on a weekly basis to prepare technology release notes and technology feature release articles.
You will have the skills and aptitude to work remotely and are receptive to direction and constructive feedback. The preferred candidate would possess strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills; a strong foundation in technical and professional writing, copyediting, and proofreading; a broad understanding of writing for a niche audience; an ability to follow style guides; an ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven work environment; an ability to work autonomously and not be micromanaged while also being able to work collaboratively; high attention to detail; a willingness to learn and be taught; and good focus and time management skills. We are looking for someone who has WordPress or other CMS experience.
- Oversee the company's intranet, including page management, layout, content curation, user access, searchability, and overall associate experience.
- Has the ability to take a technical topic and write about it in a way that can be understood by the intended audience.
- Enjoys technical, instructional, and expository writing.
- Has experience writing technical job aids and how-to documentation and has a strong background working with product development teams.
- Has a background in mortgage, financial services, or banking, and understands that there may be times when working with Compliance is necessary.
- Understands and is excited about the importance and the effectiveness of internal corporate communications.
- Effectively communicates ideas and concepts to other team members, partners effectively with internal clients and cross-functional team members, and delivers projects on time.
- Maintains clean and organized file and asset management on the shared Drive and has the ability to work within Asana, our project management tool. Training will be provided.
- Ability to manage versioned documents both on the shared Drive and natively in Wordpress. Organization is imperative.
- You are a content expert who understands information architecture and has the ability to load content onto the intranet in an appropriate manner instead of relying solely on the requestor for placement.
- Assists in ensuring all content is searchable on the Knowledge Base in the Hub by organizing and naming how-to documents and job aids appropriately.
- Listens to the direction of the Copywriter(s) as needed and collaborates well with cross-functional team members (especially Engineering, Configuration, Change Management and Development) to perform necessary writing, copyediting, and/or proofreading needs.
- Brings the Cardinal Financial brand’s tone and voice to life in order to maintain consistency across company-wide communication.
- Can conduct your own research on the product, technology, or other topics related to the piece or request at hand.
- Ability to break down meeting notes into actionable copy tasks, when necessary.
- Ability to shift between different brand identities and audiences depending on the project or material needed.
- Delivers copy docs on time and partners effectively with internal clients for approval or feedback.
- Communicates with senior team members to receive feedback.
- Must understand brand, communication, and business strategies.
- Ability to move a project along by following the project management process and without relying on a project manager to do so for you.
- Seek approval and feedback as necessary, and save all assets in specific folders for others to find and collaborate on.
- Ability to balance multiple projects with differing and aggressive timelines, deliverables, and expectations.
What You Need:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in writing, technical writing, professional writing, business writing, communications, or journalism.
- Online writing portfolio and/or related written samples will be required.
- 3–7 years of experience in a technical writing, or copywriting role.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Has experience in or knowledge of mortgage, financial services, or banking.
- Must be fluent in Google Apps (i.e., Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, etc.).
- Hyper-organized document and folder management skills.
- Experienced in WordPress for crafting communications, editing drafts, and publishing.
- Ability to work and communicate with the team in an online collaboration platform.
- Possesses project management skills (experience using Asana, Basecamp, Slack, Trello, or similar platform is a plus).
- Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style is a plus. Training will be provided.
- Is skilled in technical, policy, and/or documentation writing.
- Blog, article, press release, news, or other writing experience is a plus.
- This is a remote position.
What We Offer:
- Strength, Stability, and Vision.
- An empowered culture where your ideas are important and your voice matters.
- Opportunity for career growth.
- Competitive compensation package.
- Benefits that become effective the first day of the month following your start date including - Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and much more…
- 401K w/ 50% match up to a maximum employee contribution of 5%- Effective the 1st of the month following 30-days of employment.