Brand Content Associate
The Associate, Brand Content is responsible for strategizing, sourcing, writing, producing, and distributing all multimedia content for online and offline brand communications needs, as well as project managing thought leadership and key external awareness-raising campaigns.
With a successful track record in creating innovative and engaging content, the Associate, Brand Content will have expertise in developing short- and long-form written, multimedia and video storytelling with a particular emphasis in video production and editing. The Brand Content Associate will also identify and develop content that will help the organization reach its goals, and work with teams to evaluate the success of content and adjust content production and distribution strategy as needed. This person is required to approach each piece of content with knowledge of our work, fundraising strategy and audience conversion goals. This individual also is tasked with managing creative assets, such as videos and stories, to support all teams, particularly the Development & Communications department.
As part of the Marketing & Communications Team, the Associate, Brand Content will manage the creation of targeted content in support of organizational goals, working with vendors and freelancers. Much of the content will be distributed online, and this position is responsible for developing a distribution strategy through Room to Read’s “owned” channels as well as through external partner channels. This position is responsible for our blog, video library, photography collection and management, graphic and interactive assets (e.g., infographics) and impact-driven storytelling. This individual also informs the organization’s social media content with these assets. The Associate, Brand Content places data analytics at the core of her/his operations, leveraging best-practices in digital tracking to understand constituent behaviors and optimize and target content to drive conversions. This position reports to the Brand Communications and Public Relations Director (based in NY) and is based in Room to Read’s San Francisco Headquarters.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Content Marketing Strategy (30%) :
Develop and lead strategy for annual editorial calendar and thought leadership content , collaborating across departments to deliver effective content that supports our awareness-raising and fundraising goals.
Manage content assignments from nine country offices, collaborating with global communications staff, programs staff and in-country operations teams to source and gather content highlighting beneficiary stories and programmatic impact.
- Identify thought leadership opportunities and project manage four to eight annual thought leadership and content-driven campaigns with teams across departments, lead campaign task forces and keep teams on track from ideation to campaign launch.
- Create and source all types of media content targeted to audience acquisition, conversion and retention.
- Collaborate with Digital Marketing colleagues on content marketing initiatives to meet Room to Read’s conversion goals, with a particular focus on digital conversion for pipeline growth and annual fund growth.
- Work closely with Digital Marketing Analyst to assess content performance and test new solutions for better performance based on data.
Storytelling and Video Production (50%) :
Serve as the lead in-house video editor and videographer for all C-level communications and visual storytelling needs.
Manage all Room to Read filmmaking, including filming executives in-house, developing storyboards and scripts, sourcing and managing external film crews and agencies, providing shot lists, and regularly editing videos in-house.
Serve as lead editor and writer for Room to Read's external facing content, including select website copy, blog stories, infographics, and video scripts, managing the work of freelancer writers and copywriters as needed for support.
Maintain Room to Read's visual identity in publications and on social platforms and maintain Room to Read’s visual content catalog.
Partner with digital team on content for all digital content hubs and social channels in order to drive conversion goals and integrate key campaign and/or fundraising messages.
Liaise with and direct external distribution partners, including corporate and foundation funders, to augment our brand content strategy by providing content for campaigns and storytelling opportunities.
Content Administration and Vendor Management (20%):
- Serve as the primary liaison and project manager between Room to Read and third-party content vendors, managing a network of designers, writers, photographers, documentary and video editors. Identify key external partners for all storytelling and multimedia needs in multiple geographies.
- Develop and maintain professional development materials related to Room to Read storytelling, story collection and content strategy, including providing on-boarding and ongoing training to Room to Read’s broad team of storytelling content originators and collectors in eight countries.
- Manage and maintain photo and video library to meet the needs of the wider organization and allow for easy access to high quality content that has been edited and reviewed.
- Other duties, as assigned
Minimum 3-5 years of relevant/related professional work experience .
Experience creating content for web and social channels to targeted audiences, including general public, corporate and high-net-worth audiences.
Strong e ditorial mindset that seeks to under stand what our audiences prefer to consume and how to create it.
Technical expertise in video production and editing .
Advanced working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud, including both design and video production tools .
Experience analyzing, developing and reporting on engagement and impression metrics for digital content.
Demonstrated ability to manage consultants and external vendors and guide remote, globally distributed staff.
Experience developing video storyboards/scripts a nd/or exposure to video editing.
Demonstrated ability to manage the filmmaking process, including direct experience filming, editing, publishing and promoting films in digital media.
Demonstrated ability to write long and short-form content with a journalistic style , consistent with brand voice, style and tone , and part of a targeted marketing strategy .
Demonstrated focus on action and innovation, commitment to collaboration, and passion for issues related to international development and international education .
Demonstrated a bility to work across diverse cultures and countries to develop and maintain relationships that encourage sharing of stories and information .
Highly organized and flexible with excellent attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Knowledge of best practices and ethics in journalism.
Ability and desire to travel internationally as needed.
Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people .
Effectiveness in working or volunteering in a non-profit organization that is focused on maintaining high quality work and low overhead .
Prior experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented global or regional organization .
Proven track record of achieving results .
Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English .
Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative .
Legally eligible to work in the United States; no sponsorship provided .
- Basic understanding of SEO , content categorization and structure, content development, distribution and measurement.
- Experience managing the development of digital and print publications .
- Knowledge of AP Style
- Experience collaborating with remote/international teams a strong plus .
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Benefits include health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, commuter benefits and a 401K match. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education.
Location(s)Global Office - Main - San Francisco
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled