Senior Human Resources Business Partner
The WMF vision is to “imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.” The Sr Human Resources Business Partner (“HRBP”) will collaborate across teams to develop, implement and align business performance to drive continuous growth and knowledge sharing across the Foundation in support of the both the medium term plan and strategic direction, pushing boundaries of excellence.
The Sr HRBP is an accomplished connector focused on global talent management and organizational development, who collaborates, problem solves, and gets results, celebrating wins while learning from mistakes. The position requires a level of strategic vision, deep experience in the intersection of change management and international human resource development, serving as a consultant to management on human resource-related issues.
This position will report to the Chief of Talent and Culture (“T&C”) and work in partnership with staff of T&C to ensure support, alignment and connection to Foundation’s T&C services and programs, as well as acting as an ambassador for the Foundation’s values and culture.
You are responsible for:
- In collaboration with leadership, creating and implementing strategies to meet changing business and talent needs to support the Foundation and team objectives, developing plans which build capability, including advising senior leadership on global talent management trends
- Using quantitative and qualitative data to inform strategies and plans
- Conducting talent reviews to recommend staffing levels and skills for the department to achieve its goals, including troubleshooting and providing expert advice, ideas and creative solutions on how departments can be structured and staffed to achieve its goals in the coming years, including succession planning
- Supporting managers and staff with processing changes that arise from recommendations
- Providing day-to-day guidance to managers (i.e. coach, career development, disciplinary actions)
- Collaborating with the recruiting team and hiring managers on key searches
- Organizational Development: builds and maintains strong relationships with teams and leaders as a foundation for diagnosing, designing, and implementing large and small scale solutions that improve employee engagement, retention, leadership development, org culture, and productivity.
- Developing and delivering internal and external communications messages with the Chief of Talent & Culture (together with the communications team as necessary)
- Representing the Foundation, in presentations and written communications, facilitating department discussions on talent and culture issues
- Employee Relations: working closely with leadership and staff to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention, including mediating complex staff issues with compassion, active listening, and understanding, while maintaining confidentiality
- Liaising with internal legal counsel, reducing legal risks and ensuring compliance
- Tactfully facilitating and counseling leadership, managers, and employees on a range of performance related issues, providing guidance on corrective action
- Working with the Learning & Development team to Identify training needs for teams and individuals to support staff to prioritize and implement best practices in their respective work areas
- Providing coaching to all levels of the Foundation in a variety of formats, individual and team
- Strategically evaluating policies within the organization and partnering with stakeholders to make recommendations; collaborate on building out new policies and improving existing ones
- Supporting the direction of Talent & Culture in collaboration with other leaders in the department
- This role reports to the Chief of Talent & Culture
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or a related field and 10+yrs human resources experience, or equivalent experience/education
- Long standing experience in change management and human resources development, training and capacity development, as well as comprising and facilitating high performing teams
- Experience working with diverse, multi-cultural teams and international environments
- Experience using data analytics platforms (excel, google sheets) to inform storytelling and presentations
- Strong collaborator – Ability to collaborate and operate in a “one team” environment across all levels of the organization
- Strategic acumen – Partner with business leaders to implement solutions that creatively solve complex business challenges to address these issues
- Financial acumen – Understand drivers of shareholder value and relevant business models, and how to translate these into appropriate management and HR actions.
- HR acumen – Familiar with the complete HR service portfolio including OD and talent management and able to effectively partner with talent acquisition, total rewards, learning & development, people operations and diversity & inclusion
- Business acumen- Understand the organization’s business strategies and dynamically changing external business competition, conditions and trends. Translate this knowledge into appropriate management and HR actions
- OD acumen: experience translating OD strategies into practical business applications at progressively increasing levels of scope and complexity.
- Proven ability to collaborate with stakeholders to identify needs and develop solutions
- Operates with a global mindset while fostering the open exchange of ideas between people
- Partnering and influence – Present solutions in ways that are heard, understood and supported. Add insight that positively influences senior management decision-making. Communicate with clarity, conviction and confidence across regions/cultures, including upward when necessary
- Personal credibility – Consistently offer quality advice, counsel and insight. Maintain self-esteem and that of others while directly and constructively addressing issues. Create trust and mutual respect
- Ability to maximize relationships, build trust, communicate effectively is required to analyze HR issues and provide information, direction and advice as described
- Proven employee relations experience with ability to navigate sensitive, confidential matters.
- Experience advising on performance improvement plans including exit interviews
- Experience collaborating with legal team on employment law matters to mitigate risk to the organization and our employees
- Good technical knowledge of human resources and its role within the business
- Possess strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to deal effectively and professionally with all levels of employees and management. Good analytical skills, problem solving and decision-making skills are required to provide support as described
- Excellent planning, time management, prioritization, and organizational skills. The ability to handle competing priorities calmly under pressure and within restricted timeframes is essential
- Proven ability to provide expert Human Resources support as described is normally obtained through at least 10+ years of progressively responsible HRBP experience.
- Previous experience supporting software engineering is preferred
Qualities that are important to us
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in transparent and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Willingness to experiment with new ideas and solutions
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to let go to scale or change course
- Making lasting and supportive relationships with your leadership clients and employees
- The ability to excel in a fast-paced, changing environment that often requires fast turn‐around and navigating ambiguous situations
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
- A strong sense of caring, partnered with an excellent sense of humor
Additionally, we’d love it if you have
- Non-profit experience gets bonus points
- Tech industry experience is a plus
- Experience with HR tools like Namely & Greenhouse, and finance tools like Adaptive is a plus
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers’ benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record