Senior Design Manager
The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit organization supporting Wikipedia and other Wiki projects. The Foundation operates one of the world’s top five websites and has global reach and impact. Technology and innovation are critical in our quest to support every human in freely sharing knowledge.
Wikimedia seeks a senior design professional to help deliver the future of free access to knowledge online. The Senior Design Manager will support the geographically distributed team of talented designers who are responsible for creating the engaging and delightful user experiences for all Wikimedia products.
As the team’s manager, you will be responsible for ensuring high productivity across the team, maintaining positive team rapport, and facilitating the professional growth of individual designers. In this role you will also act as an advocate for the design team as part of engagement with your peers in Product Management. You will drive the planning and facilitation of group activities (on and offline) and manage ongoing team projects such as the Wikimedia Design Style Guide.
You are responsible for:
Collaboration & Advocacy
- Develop and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with Design Lead peers and Design Director
- Be a strong voice for design in product team planning with Product Managers
- Support the creative vision of your peers through planning, advocacy, and process oversight
- Ensure healthy dynamics and positive rapport between team members
- Facilitate ongoing career development conversations across the team
- Develop recognition and enrichment opportunities for all designers
- Advocate for design team to peers in promotion discussions
- Drive the hiring process for new team members
- Manage and improve onboarding process for new team members
- Be an empathetic and supportive ally to reports, and their trusted ear when issues arise
- Drive annual budgeting process for design team – be a strong negotiator
- Track and manage budget resources throughout the year
- Collaborate with product and engineering leads to maintain human-centered product design processes
- Liaise with product teams to coordinate on-time deliverables of your reports
- Work with designers to identify and document reusable design patterns
- Ensure and optimize the productivity of the design team
Skills and Experience:
The right person is better than the right set of experiences. These are the traits we’ve identified make great additions to our team so far.
- 3+ years of experience contributing as a designer on a product design team
- 3+ years of experience managing a team of product designers
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in related work experience
- Ability to clearly communicate objectives and expectations to design team and product team stakeholders
- Self-driven and comfortable working autonomously
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
In addition to the basic skills needed for being successful, these skills could set you apart from the pack!
- Ability to identify and leverage areas of overlap between teams
- Passion for participatory (vs. only consumption) experiences on the web
- Background in content consumption, publishing, education, or news
- Experience acting as a researcher, both in-person and with remote participants
- Have familiarity with Free Knowledge and/or Open Source communities
- Speak more than one of the 286 languages of the users we design for
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers’ benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record